Operations Research (OR) Defined
Operations Research (OR) considered a sub-field of mathematics dealing with the application of advanced analytical methods to help make better decisions. The term management science and decision science are sometimes used as more modern-sounding synonyms. OR arrives at optimal (or near-optimal) solutions to complex decision-making problems by employing techniques from other mathematical sciences, such as modeling, statistical analysis, and optimization.
Furthermore, as a field, operations research has overlapped with other disciplines, notably industrial engineering and organizational psychology (I/O) mainly due to the emphasis on human-technology interaction and their focus on practical applications. This type of research is often concerned with determining the maximum (of profit, performance, or yield) or minimum (of loss, risk, or cost) of some real-world objective.
Philosophies and Methodology for Operations
Continuous Improvement shares values with Operation’s Research
- Total Quality Management
- Focusing on Deming’s 14 rules
- Plan, Do, Check, and Act
- Six Sigma
- DMAIC, DMADV, and DPSS
- Lean Thinking
- Identify Value and Stream, Flow, Pull and Perfection
- Theory of Constraints
- Identify Constraint, Exploit Constraints, Subordinate processes, and Repeat cycle.
Operations Research Efficiencies
- Increases competitive advantage
- Reduces operational costs
- Increases customer (I/E) satisfaction and loyalty
- Call Center Operations Optimizations
- Identify areas for improvement – gaps in processes
- Visualize where the problems are and provide a root cause analysis
- Optimize service level
- Simplify processes
- Identify patterns and trends
- Manage and reduce risk
- Improves forecast (e.g., staffing and scheduling & queue wait time)
- Sales – stimulate the customer to buy more
If you are interested in an operational analysis, make sure you read up on VivaColombia’s Operational Analysis!
Rivera Pecunia, Gustavo. “Operations Research: A Brief Overview.” Pecunia Group, Pecunia Group, 28 Sept. 2018, https://pecuniagroup.com/operations-research-brief-overview/.
😄 #TechDisruptor 🚀
Hi there! I’m a Full Stack Developer and Project Manager with experience in delivering creative and effective solutions across healthcare, higher education, nonprofits, and other industries. I’m very passionate about transforming operations with technology and challenging standard practices. My strategy tends to focus is on people interactions, how we learn, perform, and communicate.